The construction of this bridge that connects the Quai de l'Hôtel de Ville and the Ile Saint-Louis, began in 1614 under the direction of Christophe Marie, General Contractor bridges. The first stone was laid by Louis XIII on October 11 of that date, and the bridge was completed in 1630.
Formerly, its five arches were surmounted by houses as can be seen on the painting of Nicolas-Jean-Baptiste Raguenet below, dating from 1757. March 1, 1658, a flood destroyed two arches ans its 22 houses that were never rebuilt unlike arches. In 1788, all the houses had disappeared to be replaced by sidewalks.
Picture' source: Insecula.
Built between 1893 and 1896, the Mirabeau bridge connects the 15th and 16th arrondissements of Paris. Metallic bridge, it was realized by the engineers Paul Rabel, Jean Résal and Amédée Alby. Each of the two piles which support the bridge form a ship, one going down the Seine (side right bank), whereas the other one goes up it (side left bank). Four magnificent bronze feminine sculptures, realized by jean-Antoine Injalbert, decorate the bridge. They represent divinities of the sea and are the allegorical figures of the Abundance, the Trade, the Navigation and the City of Paris.
Formerly called the viaduct of Passy, this bridge took the name of Bir-Hakeim in 1949, in memory of a French victory on the Germans in Libya by general Koenig during the battle of Bir-Hakeim in 1942.
This bridge which connects the 15th arrondissement with the 16th, allows a passage for pedestrians, cars, but also for the underground from where we can admire a magnificent view on the Eiffel Tower.