The Place de la Concorde has had several names over the centuries. Place Louis XV in the 18th Place de la Révolution in 1792, it took the name Place de la Concorde for the first time in 1795. In 1826, its name changed again for Place Louis XVI to take once more the name Concorde in 1830.
A historical place where the guillotine knocked hundreds of head during the French Revolution. In his Dictionnaire historique des rues de Paris (Historical Dictionary of the streets of Paris), Jacques Hillairet reported 1119 guillotined on the Place de la Concorde, including Louis XVI, Marie-Antoinette, Danton, the Countess Du Barry and Robespierre.
Today we can admire the Luxor Obelisk erected in 1836, a gift to Louis-Philippe by Mehemet Ali, fountains and statues, as well as two large palaces which are now the Hôtel de Crillon and Hôtel de la Marine.
The Nation Square with in its center Jules Dalou's sculpture representing the Triumph of the Republic. We see in the background the columns of Ledoux surmonted by the statues of Saint Louis and Philippe Auguste.
The Place des Victoires, drawn by Jules Hardouin-Mansart and inaugurated in 1686, is a very beautiful circular square at the limit of the 1st and the 2nd arrondissements of Paris. In its center, an equestrian statue of Louis XIV, work of François Joseph Bosio, dating from 1828. A first pedestrian statue of Louis XIV already occupied the center of this square in 1686, but it has been destroyed and melted during the French Revolution to produce artillery.